Windows update error code 0xc1900208 takes place when there is an incompatible software installed on your Windows 10 device and it is not letting the upgrade process to be completed. As your OS takes the incompatibility issues seriously, you have to use compatible hardware and installed applications, otherwise, the upgrade procedure will get stuck.
If your device already encounters this error and want to learn the fixes, you can follow this article. This will be a perfect guide for you to learn the fixes for this error. So, let’s start with it.
3 Steps to Follow to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0xc1900208
Here are some effective steps, which you can utilize to fix this bug:
Method 1: Remove Glitched Applications
You can also encounter this typical error with your device, due to several Antivirus applications and utilities to update Windows. Here are some steps, using which you will be able to locate such kind of applications and remove them quickly:
- Firstly, press Windows + E at the same time to launch the Windows Explorer.
- Here, you need to press C:\Windows\Panther in the address bar C:\Windows\Panther in the address bar, and Enter to continue.
- Now, in the Panther folder, you need to search for Compat*.xml file with the latest time navigate to it using the text editor of your choice.
- In the file, you will be able to find a list of incompatible applications there. Now, you need to take a note of these applications and then, you need to proceed to the next step.
- Firstly, you need to press the Ctrl + R at the same time to launch the Command Prompt. Now, type “appwiz.cpl” and tap on the OK button to continue.
- Now, in the programs window, you need to search for the incompatible app from the list of installed applications and double-click on it and then complete the uninstall procedure.
- Once you complete this uninstallation procedure, you need to reboot your PC and try to run the Windows Upgrade in order to confirm it, if this issue has been resolved or not.
In case, you won’t be able to troubleshoot this error, try to follow the next method which follows.
Method 2: Reset Windows Update Components
Using the previous method, if you fail to resolve this error, you can reset the Windows Update components to fix this error. So, try out these steps asap to see prompt improvements:
- Firstly, you need to navigate to the elevated Command Prompt, by pressing the Start button. After that, type cmd in the search box and then, open it as an administrator.
- Next, in the Command Prompt, you need to type these commands, in order to stop these Windows Update related services:
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop appidsvc
net stop cryptsvc
- After that, you need to rename the software distribution folder backup copies. This will be done by providing these commands.
ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
- After completing all of these steps, you need to restart these services, using the commands listed below:
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
Once you complete all of these steps, you need to restart your PC and check if the Windows Update produces this error or not while trying to update the Windows.
Method 3: Delete Glitched Files Which Are Blocking the Upgrade
In case you notice the Windows Setup says that you have installed incompatible applications, but you are sure about that, you don’t have installed any, then you need to check, due to which file you are getting this error. To perform this action, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to open the Explorer and be sure about that, you have enabled the Show Hidden & System Files option.
- After that, you need to type *_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml in the search box and search your PC for the files who are named with this term.
- Next, right click on the file which ends with _APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml and open the file using Notepad.
- Now, press CTRL+F to search for DT_ANY_FMC_BlockingApplication and look for the value, it will probably be True.
- After that, try to locate the LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded. The value includes the file path of the program which should be removed or transferred to another drive.
- Now, be sure about that, the file path is listed in the value for LowerCaseLongPathUnexpanded and make a copy of it in Notepad.
- Next, you need to open this file location which is situated in Explorer and then you need to delete this file.
After completing all of these steps, you need to check the status of the error. This time, you will be able to fix this error.
Once you go through this article, you will be able to troubleshoot the error code 0xc1900208 on your own. In case, you won’t be able to resolve this error, then you can contact the experts for further guidance.
Moreover, if you are aware of any other troubleshooting methods you can leave it in the comment section. And to get more troubleshooting posts, visit our website. On that note, we are concluding this post. Hopefully, you have liked it.