The Windows update error 0x8024200b strikes Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and Windows 10 users while they are trying to install the Windows updates. Sometimes, the same error can occur if you want to upgrade your Windows version.
This error can arise due to a number of factors and missing or damaged Windows Registry is one of them. Windows update might fail because of the corrupted DLL files or missing critical system files.
Presence of malware increases the chances of corrupted or missing files. If updates are pending in your existing Windows version, then you won’t be able to upgrade it to a newer version.
When this error appears on your computer’s display, the performance of your system slows down and most of the importance files become inaccessible. Thus, you need an immediate way out to stop your struggle with this situation.
If you encounter this error while trying to install Windows updates, then follow this article for an appropriate solution.
Suggested Methods to Fix the Error 0x8024200b
Here are some of the tested ways you can try out to eliminate this particular error:
Method 1: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter is the easiest and best way to deal with various Windows issues. Therefore, use this built-in tool to check whether it works for you or not. Let’s see how to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
- Click the Start menu, type ‘Troubleshooting’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Select ‘Settings and Troubleshooting’ from the list of search options.
- It is going to launch the Windows Update Troubleshooter which will scan your PC for internal glitches.
- On the Windows Update Troubleshooter window, navigate to the ‘System and Security’ tab and select the ‘Fix problems with Windows update’ option.
- After that, click the ‘Next’ button to let the tool automatically scan your PC and fix the flaws.
- You will receive a confirmation message when Windows Update Troubleshooter has completed its task. Then you can try to install the Windows update again.
- Whereas, you will need to move onto other solutions if Windows Update Troubleshooter fail to fix major internal glitches.
Method 2: Run System File Checker
System File Checker is a built-in tool of Windows that will help you to fix the missing or corrupted system as well as DLL files. You can run an SFC scan by the following steps:
- Go to the Start menu, type ‘command’ in the search bar and press ‘Enter.’
- Now select Command Prompt(Admin) from the Windows search results.
- On the Command Prompt window, type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the command line and press ‘Enter.’
- The executed command launches the System File Checker Tool.
- This tool now scans your PC and fix both missing and corrupted files.
- After the entire process is over, try to install the Windows update
Method 3: Repair the Windows Registry
- At first, open the Command Prompt as we have discussed in the previous method.
- Click ‘Yes’ on the confirmation dialog box to continue.
- Type ‘regedit’ on the popup black box and hit ‘Enter’ to open the Registry Editor window.
- As prompted, select the error 0x8024200b related key and choose the ‘Export’ option.
- Then, navigate to the ‘Save In’ list and choose a folder where you would like to save a backup of the selected key.
- Type a name in the ‘File Name’ box and click the ‘Save’ button to save the backup file with the particular name.
- Go to the ‘Export Range’ menu and ensure that the ‘Selected branch’ box is selected.
- If not, then check the ‘Selected branch’ box and tap the ‘Save’ button to save the error 0x8024200b related key with a ‘.reg file extension.’
- Move on to the next method if the error repeats itself after repairing the Windows Registry.
Method 4: Apply the SDF Cleaning Method
The SDF cleaning method is useful for cleaning and re-creating the software distribution folder along with the removal of temporary files. To apply this method, do as discussed below:
- Go to the ‘C:/drive’ of your computer and open the folder named ‘Windows’ within it.
- Now, click Software Distribution Folder’ and expand the DataStore folder.
- Next, Select all the files within the folder and tap the ‘Delete’ button in order to erase them.
- Then, go back to the Software Distribution folder and select the ‘Download’ folder.
- Highlight all the files present inside and hit the ‘Delete’ button.
Note: If asked, then you will need to provide the admin permission by logging as an admin user.
Method 5: Scan your PC for Malware
Since malware is the basic source of many errors, you must do a malware scan on your PC. To do so, you need an anti-malware that will scan your PC as well as remove malicious programs thriving within it.
If no such tool is installed on your PC, then search for a reliable one and install the same on your PC. After that, use that tool for scanning the system as well as eliminating the malware present therein.
Finally, attempt to install Windows update to ensure that you have fixed the error 0x8024200b.
Method 6: Reset the Operating System
It is a perfect method for those who lack sufficient knowledge in Windows technology and the related commands. You can try to reset the Operating System installed on your PC by the following steps:
- Windows 10 users can type ‘RESET PC” in the Cortana search box and choose ‘RESET PC’ from the search results.
- Whereas, others can go to the search menu and enter ‘RESET PC” in it.
- Then select the particular option from the search results. The remaining steps will remain the same for all Windows users.
- Click the ‘Get Started’ button on the resulting popup to proceed.
- Windows will display two options: first is to retain your files and the second is to delete them from your PC.
- If you choose the ‘complete clean’ option, then you will need to create a backup beforehand. Otherwise, you won’t be able to get hold of the files afterward.
- Wait until the resetting process is completed and then restart the system.
- Now, check whether you experience the error 0x8024200b while installing Windows update.
Hope, like the other users, you will find this article useful and remove the error 0x8024200b successfully from your PC. To avoid risk, you can avail technical support to repair corrupted or missing registry entries.
Be very careful about the authenticity if you are using any automatic repairing tool. For any sort of issues, feel free to leave your feedback in the comment section below.